Sunday, April 02, 2017

Spiritual Exercise for the Week. . .


. . .of 02 Apr 2017
Fifth Lenten Sunday (A)


I pause each day for 15 minutes.
  • I rest in our triune God.







  • I speak to the Divine persons, or I say nothing.









O my people!
I will put my spirit in you that you may live.
(first reading)

I trust in the Lord;
my soul trusts in his word!
(responsorial)

If the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you,
the one who raised Christ from the dead
will give life to your mortal bodies also,
through his Spirit dwelling in you!
(second reading)

I am the resurrection and the life;
whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die!
(gospel)
 I ask Jesus Spirit to enlighten my mind and my heart. I consider the life, the  protection, the healing risen Jesus continues to offer me. I thank Jesus. I consider how I show each day my gratitude to him. I converse with Jesus about this.

I give myself to my spiritual exercise:
I ask Jesus for grace to move through what keeps me from entrusting myself to him and his gracious care for me.







  • I ask Lazarus to present me to Jesus.







  • I open my heart to him and chat with him:
  1. I praise Jesus for dying and rising for me;
  2. thank him for enlivening me with his Holy Spirit.













  • I ask Jesus for grace to move through what keeps me from entrusting myself to him and his gracious care for me.











  • I close saying slowly the Lord’s Prayer. His words, lead us not into temptation on my lips, are not restricted to wrong choices and actions. They beg the grace to entrust myself more and more to the One who saved me by his dying and rising and frees me to be my true self.







Aware of my feelings and emotions which surfaced as I conversed with Jesus:
  • After my prayer, I jot down my reactions; the way Jesus was toward me; what I have noticed; and I look forward to tomorrow.


+ + +
A Note on Jotting My Prayer Reactions
  1. I do not force myself to write.
  2. I do not force a certain style of writing. (Some people keep diaries; longer entries come easily or naturally. Others write a word or a phrase; a summary is all they need.)
  3. I keep at hand the kind of prayer-record (diary; loose-leaf binder; 3x5 spiral pad; computer; smartphone) which is most conducive for me.
  4. I date each entry.
  5. Periodically--after a week; after a month; after a liturgical season, for example--I review my jottings. They form a record of both my praying, and more importantly, the Trinity's graces given me.

No comments: